Tuesday 14 July 2009

The Killers @ The Royal Albert Hall, 6th July 2009

Killing me softly

I was so excited that I managed to get tickets to see The Killers perform live as I’d been trying to see them for the best part of a year and had never been able to get tickets. Everyone always raves about them, which can be a bit of a double edged sword as it sets expectations quite high and I have a bit of a tendency to take against things that everyone else likes as a point of principle. I’m pleased to report, however, that the Killers are indeed something to write home about.

It was the third time I’d been to the Royal Albert Hall (well, the 4th if you count the time I went there for a Methodist church youth group sports day, but I don’t so let’s just call it 3) and the first time I haven’t sat up in the Gods – sitting in the stalls you’re much closer to the action. The RAH is a nice refined place for a gig. There’s no rushing for your seats, just a nice drink in the bar beforehand and no big bouncers, just ladies of a certain age who are very happy to trust you when you tell them where you're sitting.

In fact, it's so refined there that we decided not to listen to the first warm up act (the Radio 1 DJ Rob da Bank apparently) and by mistake missed the start of the second support act, which was rather randomly the comedian Jimmy Carr. I think it was quite a tough crowd, probably not helped by the fact that he seemed to be reading off a clip board, but he did say some very funny thing, which I suppose is to be expected!


Anyway, when The Killers came on the whole place went absolutely mad. They were recording the evening for a DVD (The Killers - Live at the Royal Albert Hall I suspect) and I really hope they got a shot of the mexican wave of people standing up as they started the first song.

I was quite surprised by the range of fans that were there - everything from 10 year old kids to to people in their 60s, dancing along with their hands in the air. teh Killers really should be unfashionable - apart from front man Brandon Flowers who has coolness and charisma by the bucket load, the rest of the band look like they would happily fit into a 70s rock band like Slade, and their sound does have an element of dad rock and a significant serving of cheese. However, the music that they produce is just so damn good that it seems only the most bitter and twisted can reist their charms. Apparently Pete Waterman and Kanye West were both spotted in the audience, which just proves the breadth of their appeal.

The set was peppered with the hits from their first 2 albums, but most of the music came from their third, Day and Age. I have to say that I don't think D&A is as strong as the others, alhough it does have a couple of stand out tracks. But hearing them play live - the energy the band gave out and got back in return was incredible - just lifted all the music up. Highlights were (predictably) Read My Mind, which is my favourite Killers track EVER, and Mr Brightside, which is just amazing. The band really perform, with Mr Flowers strutting all over the stage, even turning up in the organ loft much to the delight of those sitting behind the stage. There was also quite a lot of chat, with the band thanking London for being the place that it all started (always a smart move) and talking a bit about how the band formed.

I guess I can safely say that seeing The Killers live was worth waiting for. They are just one of those bands that just make you feel happy when they're playing, and there aren't many of those to the dozen. The DVD will definitely be on my Christmas list.

My guess is that The Killers DVD will be out at some point this year

No comments:

Post a Comment