Wednesday 26 August 2009

MIKA @ The Roundhouse, 31st July 2009

Kerching-ah!

I must admit that I went to the final night of the iTunes festival with relatively low expectations. I couldn’t find anyone who wanted to come and see the man himself with me, so I went on my own and, as is so often the case, met some really nice people on the way.

Being an iTunes Festival veteran by now I turned up at exactly the right time to see the full set of support act Erik Hassle. Unfortunately, my smugness was ruined by the face that they had arsed around with the timings as the beginning of Mika’s set was being broadcast live on ITV2 and I arrived half way through. From what I saw, Erik Hassle was pretty good AND has preposterous hair (think ginger Mr Whippy or male La Roux), which seems to be de rigueur at the moment.



Up front I will tell you that Mika’s set was awesome. The main reasons for this are as follows:
  1. They covered the whole stage in silver glitter, the only act I saw at The Roundhouse who personalised the stage. There was also a glitter cannon (awesome) which means I was picking silver confetti out of my bag / clothes / shoes for days afterwards


  2. There was a whole choir with slightly mental silver sparkly cardboard hats
  3. MIKA looked like something out a Clockwork Orange if they had been dressed in white dungarees and had top hats. Well, the eye make up was similar anyway
  4. He played all the old brilliant songs and also some new ones, which is always a good mix
  5. MIKA can really sing. And play the piano. And jump about like a lunatic. And throw buckets full of glitter over the crowd in true clown style
  6. They did an encore
  7. The encore included the introduction of dozens of huge balloons into the crowd for us to play with

See I told you. UNDENIABLY AWESOME.


Ultimately it was actually one of the most fun gigs I’ve been to in a long time. MIKA has boundless energy and all the songs really came alive in the live environment. I definitely will be going to see him on his next tour.

MIKA’s new single “We are Golden” is out on September 7th

No comments:

Post a Comment