Sunday 4 October 2009

The Script @ The Waterfront, 1st September 2009

After some very civilised queueing (inside! with toilets! oh yes!!), I found myself at the front for the first of The Script's 2 dates at The Waterfront. This turned out to be both a curse and a blessing...


First off were support act Officer Kicks who are great showmen and although their music is a little heavy for me,I really enjoyed their performance. I met the band after the show and they are really nice as well so I hope they get the success they deserve. If you like rock music you should check out their myspace here and they are currently on tour in the UK.


There was a second support act called The Coronas, who are an Irish band that seem to be quite big in Ireland. I have to say they didn't do much for me - nothing wrong with them but they just didn't stand out.


By the time The Script came on the mostly teenage girl crowd were pretty much hysterical, like an old video of Beatles fans back in the day - screaming and crying and what not. Even the mere sight of lead singer Danny seemed to bring on hysterical crying, which was very loud and VERY ANNOYING.


Anyway, The Script played what I understand to be their only set list - it was certainly the same as the SBE gig I went to. They are really good but you get the feeling that they going through the motions - everything is well practiced and scripted. The set only lasts about an hour and they really nceed to go away and wrtite some new material - or at least pull together a coupe of new covers. They are great performers and they just need a bit more to perform.


They also need to be a bit less stupid when it comes to interacting with the audience. Danny does this thing at the end when he gets lifted into the crowd. On this occasion he was under advice not to do so because of the state of the crowd, but he decided to do it anyway. Helpfully this makes the crowd surge out and then back in again, which knocked me stright onto the floor. Ouch.

The Script are currently touring Australia (almost undoubtedly using the same set list)

No comments:

Post a Comment